I get asked a lot of times.
- What is a website builder?
- Should I use it?
- Is it the same as a website creator?
- What are the advantages and limitations?
- How can it help my business?
I decided to put together this definitive guide to answer as many questions as possible. Let’s get started.
What is a website builder?
A website builder is a software, platform, or service that allows you to create a website quickly. Website builders are designed with drag and drop components to help people without coding skills create and manage websites within a short period of time.
What is a website creator called?
A website creator is also called a website builder. A website creator or website builder is a tool, software, platform, or service that let you quickly and easily create a website without having any web design or programming skill.
Can I download website builder?
A website builder can be offline or online. An online website builder requires an internet connection to create a website while an offline website builder does not require an internet connection.
What are some examples of website builder?
How do website builders work?
1. Choose a template
Most website builders provide template libraries that are specifically designed for varying purposes. You can have a template for restaurant, blog, real estate, law firm, corporate, multipurpose, creative, portfolio, resume, and so on. These templates are grouped into categories. They are pre-made to suit your needs.
2. Edit your template
After choosing your template, it’s time to customize your website. This process may take some time depending on the complexity of your website needs.
Online builders feature website editors and drag and drop elements. These elements include buttons, forms fields, text, images, videos, tables, maps, containers, and so on.
You can simply drag and drop these elements to change the design of your website. Then you can update the text to reflect your information.
3. Publish your website
After you’re done with editing the template and content on the website to reflect your taste and information, you go ahead and publish. That’s it.
Is website builder best?
- No programming skills needed
- You don’t need to be an expert to create complex pages
- A website builder can save you time and resources
- Website builders save you from malware issues
- website builders provide website designs and themes so you can jumpstart your website design
- You can create multiple sites without spending too much money
- Website builders provide stock images to help you create that professional-looking website
- You can start with a free plan and upgrade when you can afford to spend more on your websites
- Website builder drag and drop elements make it easy to update your website
- Extend your websites with built-in apps such as social media and eCommerce
- Website builders are always online, so you can make edits anytime
- Most website builders meet the minimal requirements for SEO
Learn more: Are website builders worth it?
Are website builders bad?
- Website builders have limited customization options
- You cannot transfer your website to another provider.
- Website builders are affordable but extending your website features with addons can get expensive real quick.
- Website builders do not provide advanced marketing tools
- Your SEO options are limited
- Website builders offer free plans with limitations. These limitations can only be removed if you upgrade your plan.
- Customer and technical support may be limited
What are the benefits of having a website?
- Potential customers will easily be able to find you on the internet
- Anyone can easily get information about your brand or business
- Your business will seem genuine and credible
- You got from local to international as anyone can patronize your business anywhere in the world
- Your website will be able to collect and analyze data to increase sales and better serve your customers.
- Improve customer experiences with advanced marketing tools
- Add additional tech products to your website grow your revenue
- Advertise to targeted customers who actually need your product
What kind of websites can I make with website builders?
1. Small business websites
Website builders are great for small businesses who want to save on cost, time, and other useful resources.
Professional service-oriented companies such as beauty professionals, lawyers, accountants, plumbers, photographers, and restaurant owners can quickly and easily offer their services online.
Product-based businesses can also sell digital and physical products fast and easily. A popular website builder recommendation is Square Online.
2. eCommerce websites
Online stores can get up and running in minutes. Website builders can help online retailers sell products online, reduce cost of selling and equip them with all the tools they need in an instant.
An online store requires shopping cart systems, payment integration, and checkout features. Website builders are a great option for newbie drop shippers.
Learn more: How to Sell Furniture Online
Website builders make it easy to make start your blog. Blogs are text-focused content websites that are quite popular on the internet.
You can pick your niches such as travel, lifestyle, recipes, or any subject, and find a template that fits your blog style. You can earn a full-time income with blogs.
4. Portfolio websites
You can make an attractive, professional-looking portfolio with website builders. Freelancers often need to showcase their work. They can easily create portfolios which can be a collection or gallery of their works detailing their expertise. In addition, they can alternatively or additionally create a resume to apply for jobs.
5. Event websites
Event websites have become increasingly popular in recent times. An event website can help event planners, hosts, or organizers to keep their guests updated about an event.
Event websites include information about schedules, transportation, maps, and directions. The event websites may additionally include features such as ticketing, reservations, payment integration, and much more.
Examples of events websites are weddings, concerts, shows, conferences, and even virtual events.
Learn more: Best Wedding Website Builders
6. Online forums
Online forums are discussion boards where people who share similar interests can connect and share information. A popular forum website is Reddit and Lipstick Alley. You can create online forums with website builders.
7. Personal websites
A personal website is a good way to show the public who you are, your accomplishments, and what you do. Personal websites are effective for regular folks who need an online resume or popular figures like actors and authors who need a website for their brand.
8. Membership websites
Membership websites are suitable for individuals or businesses who want to have exclusive information or service. Examples are websites for private clubs or coaches where you’re required to become a member before you gain access. You can create a members-only area on your website and even monetize your content.
9. Nonprofit websites
These are websites dedicated to causes. Visitors can view information, past events, and as well donate. With website builders, you can create nonprofit websites like a charity website to advance a cause you or your organization believes in.
10. Informational websites
Informational websites are provide general or niche information to the public. Examples include wikis, new websites and bios. They are designed to host well-organized information users can search anytime.
Does website builder include hosting?
Online website builders automatically provide hosting services. Offline website builders do not provide hosting services. Using online website builders is an added advantage as they abstract hosting technicalities from you automatically.
Meanwhile, if you decide to use offline website builders, you have to develop your website and save the files locally. Afterward, you have to get a hosting service where you transfer your files after completing your web design. You will need to have some technical skills to do this or hire an expert.
How long does it take to build a website with a website builder?
You should also budget a minimum of 10 hours, upwards of 30-50 to build the site depending on the complexity.
Can I build my own website?
Yes you can build your own website. To do this, you need to either use a website builder or write the code yourself.
What does a website builder do?
A website builder lets you easily and quickly create a website without any coding or programming skills.
Can you make a website without a website builder?
You can use alternative means such as
- Write the code from scratch
- Hire a web designer or agency
- Use CMS software like WordPress, Joomla, Magento, Blogger, AbanteCart, and so on.
Can you make money from a website?
Yes you can make money from a website. You can even run your website as an online business and make full-time income. Here are some ways you can make money with your website.
- Affiliate marketing – partner with other business and earn commission on sales
- Advertisements – place ads from ad networks like Google
- Membership – sell membership access to your followers
- eCommerce – sell products or even drop ship products for other suppliers
- Informational products – put your knowledge in a book and sell it on your website
Learn more: Trendy Ideas of What to Sell Online
Do I own my content on website builders?
You do own your content. However, you do not own a content provider by your website builder. This includes templates, stock photos, add-ons, and any other content provided by your website builder. If you decide to leave the service, you will no longer have rights to these content.
Do you have to pay to have your own website?
You can start a free website. You can upgrade your account to have access to additional features and remove limitations associated with free accounts.
How do I make my website stand out?
- Use clean, modern, professional-looking attractive themes
- Use font styles with good readability
- Avoid misspellings and bad grammar
- Use high-quality images
- Make sure your colors compliment your website
- Make sure your website is responsive, cross-platform, and user friendly
- Ensure its easy to navigate
How does free websites make money?
The most popular way free websites make money is through affiliate commissions and advertisements.
What kind of website should I make for money?
A blog is the easiest kind of website to make and monetize.
How important is a website for a small business?
A website can help small businesses in the following ways
- increase revenue
- increase customer base
- improve customer service
- increase customer engagement
- provide feedback
- show credibility
A website builder can help you get your business or brand online quickly and easily without you having to write code or possess any technical skills.
Now that you fully understand what a website builder is, create a free website builder for your business.